Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Final Project




This painting is called The Glass House by Rene Magritte, 1939.  Magritte was painting a portrait of Edward James but decided he wanted to paint his back. The face is painted in an aggressive, jagged way across, out of his head. His eyes look very vacant, like they are lost in a train of thought or just emotionless. I really liked the detail in the hair as well. I think this painting could represent someone dwelling on their past, almost as the thoughts are taking over his brain. This is stopping him from moving forward in life. I've been recently really intrigued by surrealism art. Surrealism was a cultural movement that began in the 1920s. I like how many pieces can have different meanings to different people. It all depends on the observer. I think that's my favorite kind of art. It is all about perspective.


I had two ideas for my final project. I just have to see which one comes together better on paper.
1: Paint a side portrait of a singer from one of my favorite bands and paint a little version of him, sitting in a jail/cage in his head. He often mentions being trapped inside of his brain.

2: Paint a regular portrait of the same guy, but have half the top of his head cut off. I will then draw an overflowing kitchen sink on top of his head, filled with all the bright colors from one of his earlier albums, dripping into his head. He wrote a song called Kitchen Sink which talks about creating/finding a purpose when you feel depressed, lost and feeling like nothing is worth fighting for anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment