Saturday, September 17, 2016

The Deep


This painting is called "The Deep," by Jackson Pollock (1953). Some say that the black in this painting is reminiscent of a persons deepest secrets. It has been said that Pollock believed this part depicted someone's true self, even if that person never dared to acknowledge it. I like how this painting has so much texture even though it's mainly black and white. The brush strokes Pollock used create a light, feathery feel on the part that "covers" that deep, black crevice. At first glance, I could appreciate Pollock's art, but I personally would not have hung any of them in my home. Then I came across The Deep. After seeing its simple yet dynamic look, I realized that this is probably one of my all-time favorite paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment