Thursday, September 15, 2016

Leonardo, "The Last Supper,"c.1495

This painting has caught my attention because it has been the most known religious painting for five centuries. It is painting in a dining hall in the monastery of Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan, Italy. As I read about this painting I read that Leonardo tried to show their emotions/ characters through facial expressions, and gestures. This painting to me is very unique due to Leonardo trying to use his own recipe of oil/tempera, and emulsion in order to do this mural. Throughout, this painting Leonardo was trying to portray the reactions the apostles had when Jesus told them one of them would betray Him. It amazes me how someone can express so much emotion although they were never physically there in that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment